05 February 2011

Jordan Flower Market during the Chinese New Year

 These were taken Wednesday afternoon around 2 pm. About eight or ten square blocks, the flower market was just booming that day. Evidently, it's like this for a week or two before the actual day.
I won't try to name all of these flowers but I think you can get the idea.
























I know these are orchids. Really big orchids.




















Don't know exactly what these are but they're cool.




















These reminded me of that junk food that had chocolate and cream inside and this coconut foam stuff on the outside. I think they were called 'snow balls'?



















Here's a shot of the crowd.


















These beauties are very popular. Yellow and gold are certainly in season.




















These are Mandarin Orange trees or bushes. Also hugely popular. They're called 'kam' in Cantonese and that's a homophone for "luck" or "fortune".




Lily's maybe? I came away with an armload of these in orange.


This is a video of a guy hawking his flowers.




This is a shot of some pussy willows of different colors. These and forsythia branches are everywhere.


And finally, another short vid of someone giving their pitch. This guy seems to think his kid can sell better than he can. I think he may be right.

Pictures of the parade and fireworks show are on the camera. Once I get them loaded, I'll share.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!